Four Drug Overdoses Shut Down Zeds Dead Philadelphia Concert
A Zeds Dead concert scheduled for this past Saturday, December 1 in Philadelphia was cancelled after several audience members were hospitalized before the concert due to drug overdoses.
Police were called to the Electric Factory in Philadelphia around 8 p.m., before the Canadian DJ duo took the stage. According to the Associated Press, at least four people had overdosed on a drug that has not yet been identified.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that initial sources said as many as nine people passed out at the venue before the concert began. Those same reports also put the age of those found as young as 15, but the paper rights that as of Sunday those reports had not been confirmed.
Although the drug, or drugs, that caused the overdose has not been revealed, concertgoers on Facebook quickly cited “bath-salts” and Ecstasy as the drugs being used. It is not yet clear if the drugs were tainted.
The Rolling Stone reports that one witness said that six ambulances and several police cars were at the scene. The show was an all-ages show, and after the cancellation, Zeds Dead moved the show to the Lit Ultra Lounge, which required concertgoers to be at least 21 years old to get into the show.
Zeds Dead was recently announced as a member of the lineup for next year’s Summer Camp Music Festival, which will be headlined by the Avett Brothers, Thievery Corporation and the Trey Anastasio Band.
The electronic music duo formed in Toronto in 2009, though the two members – DC and Hooks – have been making music together under different names since 2004. The group spent most of the first part of this year on the road as part of their “Living Dead Tour,” which lasted from February to May and supported their most recent album of the same name.