Stone Roses

Stone Roses, Blur, Phoenix, Red Hot Chili Peppers Headline Coachella 2013

Stone Roses, Blur, Phoenix, Red Hot Chili Peppers Headline Coachella 2013

We’ve heard the rumors for months, and now at long last we finally have the Coachella 2013 lineup, and Stone Roses, Blur, Phoenix and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the headliners.

Of course, that’s just the tip of the iceberg for the lineup of the Indio festival that will be held April 12-14 and April 19-21. Like last year, both weekends will have identical lineups.

So here’s a short list of other notable artists appearing this year in addition to the headliners: Lou Reed, the Postal Service, Sigur Ros, New Order, Modest Mouse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jurassic 5, Japandroids, Johnny Marr, Grizzly Bear, Moby, Spiritualized, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Wu-Tang Clan, Gaslight Anthem and Social Distortion.

Tickets go on sale January 29 at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT – last year’s event sold out in about two hours. Tickets are $349 per person for general admission (to one weekend), and $799 for a VIP package. The latter package allows access to two VIP areas, which include extra restrooms, bars, seating, food vendors and tents. Camping is extra and starts at $85 in addition to the ticket price for the festival.

The Coachella Music and Arts Festival has been held at the Indio Polo Grounds in Indio, California every year since it began in 1999. In addition to the huge names that perform at the show every year, the festival also serves as something of a buzz generator for new artists. Laura Ballance, co-founder of Merge Records, awesomely explained why to the Los Angeles Times.

“They pay you lots of money, and there’s a large captive audience,” she said.

Last year was the first year the festival took on a two-weekend format, and doubled its audience to 650,000 music fans in the transition. The 2012 version of the festival grossed $47 million.

The Killers, Stone Roses, Bon Jovi Featured at 2013 Isle of Wight Festival

The Killers, Stone Roses, Bon Jovi Featured at 2013 Isle of Wight Festival

Bon Jovi, the Killers and a reformed Stones Roses will headline next year’s version of the Isle of Wight music festival.

The festival will take place June 13-16, 2013, and Bon Jovi will headline June 14, the Killers will headline June 15 and the Stone Roses will close out the event June 16. Other notable artists now scheduled to perform at the event are Ellie Goulding, fun., Bloc Party, Happy Mondays, Blondie, Jake Bugg, The Script, Paloma Faith, The Maccabees, Bonnie Raitt, The Farm, Imperial Teen and Republica. Many more acts are expected to be announced between now and the festival.

The Killers were the last of the three headliners announced, and it looks like they may be gearing up for a slew of European festivals next summer, as they previously announced that they would perform at the T in the Park festival.

“We are proud to bring one of the world’s greatest rock bands of the last decade to our small island off the South Coast of England,” said Isle of Wight festival promoter John Giddings in a statement. “Thanks for coming – it will be a weekend to remember!”

The Stone Roses will make their debut at the long running festival next year. After breaking up in 1996, the group reunited for a slew of dates earlier this year. There have been rumors that the group will release a third album, but nothing has been confirmed as yet.

The group became widely known with the release of their self-titled debut in 1989, and are largely credited as one of the bands that sparked the British guitar music revolution that eventually came to be known as Britpop and included band such as Oasis and Blur.

However, the Stone Roses’ sophomore album, The Second Coming was long delayed when it finally came out in 1994, and is generally viewed as inferior to its predecessor.

Photographers Boycotting Stone Roses Shows in UK

Photographers Boycotting Stone Roses Shows in UK

Of the many, many music fans that are extremely excited about the Stone Roses reunion concerts in their hometown of Manchester, England this weekend, there are dozens of photographers that are not nearly as thrilled about the shows. In fact, they will be boycotting them altogether.

The boycott of the three days of concerts comes from what the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) calls a dispute over copyright and “unacceptable restrictions” on photographers at the gigs. Several other representative bodies will be boycotting along with the NUJ.

The NUJ said that the Stone Roses’ management wanted to restrict editorial use of any photos taken at the event after the initial publication, though a spokesman for the Stone Roses denied any general protest and said that around 30 photographers were expected to be on hand at the shows, which began yesterday and will run through the weekend at Heat Park.

“Too many musical artists now wish to grab rights from photographers,” John Toner, a freelance organizer at the NUJ, told the Guardian. “Having said that, people are surprised the Stone Roses have chosen to go down this route. We fully understand why a band would wish to retain merchandising rights, and photographers would be happy to concede this. Equally, a photographer must have the right to license editorial use of the images without obtaining the band’s permission for each use. The band’s intransigence on this point has led to the organization of a boycott.

On the other hand, the Stone Roses’ spokesman Murray Chalmers said it was “not true” that there was a general boycott.

“There is no row with photographers. This is not a general problem and we have a full quota of photographers [planning to attend],” Chalmers said. “There’s no issue. If someone is personally boycotting that’s up to them.”

 

Stone Roses Reunion Picking Up Steam

Stone Roses Reunion Picking Up Steam

One of the few consistencies in the Stone Roses career has been the large amounts of time they spend between projects. Five years lapsed between the time the English band burst onto the alternative scene in 1989 and their long awaited second record, The Second Coming, which didn’t arrive until 1994. Now, it’s been 15 years since the band broke up in 1996, the same amount of time it’s been since the band played a show—and it’s been even longer since the four original members shared the same stage.

But that has changed. Today, the band announced at a press conference in London that their first shows in nearly 16 years will take in the band’s hometown of Manchester in June 2012. They also said an extensive world tour will follow those dates, but no further details have been released as of yet.

In the intervening years, each member of the band has ventured into separate ventures, with singer Ian Brown releasing six solo albums and co-songwriter John Squire focusing on his art career. A common thread between all four members was that each vehemently denied there could ever be a Stone Roses reunion. In 2009, in fact, Squire created a work of art reading, “I have no desire whatsoever to desecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group the Stone Roses.”

It wasn’t until the release of the second single, “She Bangs the Drums,” off the group’s eponymous first album that the band’s fame took off in England and then later around the world. The song was a top 40 hit in England, and was followed by the single “Fool’s Gold,” which went to number one.

After that, the Stone Roses played sold out venues and headlined festivals as desire for their follow-up record began to grow. But the group’s label, Silvertone, refused to let them out of a bad contract that prevented them from entering the studio for any other label. Finally, the band, with the help of the court system, was allowed out of that contract and put out The Second Coming on DGC Records in 1994. Unfortunately, by that time the steam that had built up in the first couple years of the band had died down, and though the album sold well, it never lived up to the expectations built by the first album. Success was further hindered by the fact that the band was in the midst of falling apart at the time, with drummer Reni leaving in March 1995 and Squire leaving in April 1996. The band officially broke up in October 1996.

Though no plans have been announced, the possibility of a new album remains open. When asked, Brown responded that he hoped it would happen.